In the event that all does not go according to your carefully laid plans travel insurance may help to ease the pain.
Check with your credit card provider as insurance may be included when you book and pay for accommodation and transport with your card.
What to look for in a policy
Do you homework before you choose a policy. Compare the products carefully. Ensure that you know what the policy covers and what is exempt. Think carefully about what you may need in case of an emergency.
I like my travel insurance policy to provide things such as:
- Compensation if you have to change your plans at the last minute. (Very handy if you are in Bali or planning to go to Bali and flights are cancelled due to volcanic ash).
- Compensation for lost luggage.
- Compensation for stolen cash or credit cards.
- Cover for medical emergencies and repatriation to Australia should I become seriously ill or get injured.
- Compensation for having to cut my travel plans short if I need to return to Australia because my elderly parents are ill.
- Cover for injuries sustained in sporting activities such as skiing.
Terms, conditions and limits apply within every policy so make sure you choose the one that best meets your needs.
Annual vs single trip insurance policies
Substantial savings on travel insurance can usually be made by purchasing an annual trip policy. If you are likely to make a number of international and/or domestic trips within the space of year it could be worth considering.
Check the product carefully to see if countries you are visiting are within the zones covered by the insurance policy. Cruising often attracts additional expense in travel insurance policies. Even if the countries the cruise visits are within the travel zone specified in your policy it may not cover you unless you upgrade your insurance.
Travel insurance discounts
If you are living in Australia you may be able to obtain discounts on your travel insurance by purchasing an Entertainment Book from your local sporting club, school or charity.
You can purchase travel insurance for a single trip, or an annual policy for either domestic or international travel using the voucher codes in the book.